RN to BS Programs

General Financial Aid Policies
Financial Aid includes: grants – money for which no repayment is expected, and loans – borrowed money that must be repaid with interest after termination of studies. Students “terminate" upon graduation, withdrawal or dismissal from the College.
The policy of Helene Fuld College of Nursing is to distribute financial aid in an equitable and non-discriminatory manner. Students must submit the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) and a bona fide copy of their latest Federal Income Tax return (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ). Financial aid applicants who are residents of New York State must also apply for TAP Awards. The College cannot assist a student in seeking financial aid unless these forms are filed. Based on this information, an assessment is made and aid is offered or denied. Particular attention is given to heads of households with young dependents. Our aim is to make it possible for any qualified, motivated student to attend our College. Applications can be completed on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Other Sources of Financial Aid

Students receiving financial assistance must meet the College's requirements for "Promotion and Continuance." All recipients must make satisfactory academic progress. Financial aid will be suspended if satisfactory academic progress is not made. In cases of extenuating circumstances, the College may waive the satisfactory progress requirement, consistent with federal and state regulations.
Student Federal/State Debts
If a student owes federal or state grant money received from another institution, no additional monies may be disbursed until the money owed has been repaid. If a student received an overpayment due to institutional error, the student may continue to receive payments for which they are otherwise eligible, as long as they have signed an agreement to repay the overpayment within a reasonable period of time.

If a student is in default on a prior educational loan, he/she can be eligible for financial aid if they have made satisfactory repayment arrangements with the loan holder. (See the Financial Aid Counselor for information.)

Method of Payment
Institutional awards, as well as all monies received through state and federal sources (grants and loans), are applied directly to student accounts. Any balance remaining is given to the student. Awards are generally issued on a quarterly basis.
Federal Financial Aid Programs
Drug convictions may affect eligibility for federal financial aid programs. (See the Financial Aid Counselor for information.)
Pell grants are based on a federal formula that measures the ability of the student/family to meet educational expenses. Awards vary in amount, depending on eligibility and cost of attendance (available for full- or part-time study). Students must demonstrate financial need as well as satisfactory progress in the program. This grant is not available to students who already have a Bachelor's degree.
FSEOG grants (in the range of $200 to $1,000), depending on availability of funds, may be awarded to students who demonstrate financial need (available to full- and part-time students). Students must demonstrate financial need as well as satisfactory progress in the program.
Full- and part-time students may apply to borrow up to $3,500 a year in subsidized Federal Stafford loans and up to $6,000 a year in unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans.
Veterans Administration Benefits
Federal funds for education are available to children and spouses of disabled (100%) or deceased veterans. Any veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who is enrolled in an approved program of study is entitled to receive tuition allowances. The allowances will be granted as long as the veteran is enrolled in study up to 10 years from the date of discharge from the Armed Forces. The amount depends on the marital status and number of dependents. Applications should be made through the local Veterans Administration Offices.
Post-9/11 GI Bill
Generally, an individual who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, will be eligible for educational assistance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

New York State Financial Aid Programs

Helene Fuld College of Nursing State TAP code (TAP): 0287

TAP awards range from $100 to $1,667.67 per quarter depending on financial need and level of study. This is available only to full-time students who have been legal residents of New York State for at least one year immediately preceding the beginning of the quarter for which assistance is requested. Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress in the program.
A student must carry at least six, but no more than eleven, credits in order to qualify. He/she must be in good academic standing and must justify financial need. Applications are available in the Student Services Office.
Grants of $450 per year are made to full-time students who are legal residents of New York State at the time of application and the child of a deceased or disabled veteran who was a legal resident of New York State at the time of induction into service. Applications are available from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12255.
Information regarding financial aid for Native Americans and New York State Regents Scholarships can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.
Other Sources of Financial Aid
Tuition reimbursement is available to 1199 members who are enrolled in an approved program of studies. For eligibility requirements, amount of assistance, and procedures, contact: 1199/SEIU League Training and Upgrading Fund, 300 West 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036, 212-643-9340 before applying to the College.
A limited number of scholarships are available from the Louis and Rachel Rudin Foundation. Awards are available to both part-time and full-time students who qualify academically and who demonstrate financial need.
The Switzer Foundation annually grants a limited number of $1,000 tuition awards are granted annually by the Switzer Foundation to full-time students upon entrance to Helene Fuld College of Nursing. To be eligible for an award, the candidate must be a female in financial need, live within a radius of 50 miles of New York City, be a U.S. citizen, and be one who shows promise of meeting the program requirements.
A limited number of partial tuition awards are granted annually from the College's Teagle Endowment fund for full-time students upon entrance to Helene Fuld College of Nursing. Awards are made on the basis of academic potential and financial need.
The Sidney and Loretta Teich Foundation grant a limited number of $2,500 scholarships annually in the Fall quarter to students who are in their third nursing quarter.  To be eligible for the scholarship, the candidate must live continuously for the past two years in the Greater New York area, including counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, and Rockland, in the State of New York, be a member of a minority group (Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, African American, Hispanic American, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander), and have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or above.
The Ruth Brown Academic Incentive Award is given to a junior student who demonstrates both academic potential and financial need.
A limited number of scholarships are available from The Harlem Commonwealth Council. First-year Helene Fuld nursing students with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA who reside in the Harlem area may apply. For more information please visit http://www.harlemcommonwealth.org.